I like everything Bob Sutton has written, including this anti-bullshit manifesto:
I wish I could wave my magic wand and provide you with a 100% reliable and shock-proof “management advice crap detector.” Alas, life is too messy and uncertain… But we’ve found five guidelines that can increase your hit rate, that will help you do a better—if imperfect—job of deciding which advice to ignore, study more closely, and perhaps implement on a trial basis.
- Treat Old Ideas As If They Are Old Ideas.
- Be Suspicious of Breakthrough Ideas and Studies.
- Understand The Incentives For The People Who are Selling You The Idea.
- Are They Telling You That “All The Best Companies” Or “Most Of The Fortune 500” Do It?
- Most of The Best Ideas Are Remarkably Simple.